Say it isn’t so!
According to the site, the 42-year-old TV personality is still weighing his options when it comes to signing on to the singing competition.
“Honestly, Ryan is just not sure whether he wants to stay on as co-host of Live anymore,” a source revealed on Monday, June 26. “He is going to stick out his contract, obviously. But NYC does not feel like home to him and he really misses LA.”
Ryan was announced as the new co-host of Live back in May, nearly one year after Michael Strahan left the ABC morning show to join Good Morning America. Just days into his gig with Kelly Ripa, the former soap actress, 46, voiced her full support in response to rumors that Ryan would be participating in AI’s revival.
“I think this has to happen. I went into seclusion when American Idol was canceled. Are you going to host it? Please tell me yes,” Kelly said. But, at the time, Ryan expressed hesitation about juggling the heavy workload of hosting two TV shows.
“No, I don’t know about that part yet,” the E! News alum said. “We haven’t gotten that far. This was news to me last week. I had said at the end of the series, ‘Goodbye for now,’ hoping somewhere it would come back.”
He added, “I don’t know if I can host it. Do you know the preparation I have to do for [Live] every night?”
Ryan hosted the Fox reality show, which ended last year, for 15 seasons. As previously reported, ABC announced on May 9 that they are officially bringing back the beloved singing competition. As of yet, the only confirmed celebrity to appear on the show is Katy Perry, who will serve as a judge.
“American Idol on ABC…that has a nice ring to it,” Disney co-chairman Ben Sherwood said in a statement. “Idol is an entertainment icon, and now it will air where it belongs, in ABC’s lineup of addictive fan favorites alongside Dancing With the Stars and The Bachelor. America, get ready for the return of a bigger, bolder, and better-than-ever Idol.”