After competing at Crufts, one of the world's most prestigious dog shows, a three-year-old Irish red setter named Jagger tragically died from what his owner is calling a "malicious poisoning."
In the hours following his second place finish in the sporting group category, the beloved pet — whose show name was Thendara Satisfaction — reportedly collapsed on Friday, March 6 in his home after appearing in the dog show the day before.
Dogs compete at the Crufts dog show on March 6, 2015. Note: The dog from this story is not included in this picture. (Photo Credit: Getty Images)
One of the dog's co-owners said a vet's preliminary investigation revealed cubes of meat in the animal's stomach had been laced with poison.
Related Story: Queen Elizabeth II Plans to Give Up Corgis
"We are led to believe that there's no doubt the dog was maliciously poisoned," Jagger's co-owner Dee Milligan-Bott told 'BBC Radio.' "We are all devastated."
An Irish setter competing at the Westminster dog show in 2014. Note: This is not the dog from the story. (Photo Credit: Getty Images)
The Kennel Club — which organizes the annual Crufts dog show in Birmingham, England — said they were "deeply shocked and saddened" by Jagger's death, but added they "cannot know the cause of this tragedy" until a toxicology report is released later this week.
"I can only imagine that it was a random act that somebody premeditated and wanted to cause total distress at the best dog show in the world," Milligan-Bott added in her 'BBC' interview, confirming she did not believe her pet was killed by another competitor's owner.
Your life just got exponentially better and more stylish now you've signed up for our newsletter. Fabulousness awaits!