They originally wanted to set up a global “philanthropy brand,” but Prince Harry and Meghan Markle‘s plans have been squashed by Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles. Instead, Her Majesty wants the Duke and Duchess of Sussex to set up an official household of aides and staffers within Buckingham Palace — all under the crown’s discretion.
According to a royal insider, Harry, 34, and Meghan, 37, have lobbied for an autonomous new court, but the 92-year-old monarch and the 70-year-old Prince of Wales — who are funding the office — were uninterested.
“They wanted their household to be entirely independent of Buckingham Palace, but were told ‘no,'” the source told the Sunday Times of London. “The feeling is that it’s good to have the Sussexes under the jurisdiction of Buckingham Palace, so they can’t just go off and do their own thing.”
The news of the queen and Charles vetoing the expectant couple’s philanthropy plans comes nearly a week after the British royal family announced in a statement that Elizabeth “has agreed to the creation of a new household for The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, following their marriage in May last year.” In the statement shared by royal expert Katie Nicholl, Buckingham Palace shared that “the household, which will be created with the support of The Queen and the Prince of Wales, will be established in the spring.”
Last month, it was reported that Prince Harry and Prince William, 36, had plans to split their royal household before the former Suits actress gives birth this spring. Around the same time, a source close to the royals told E! officials hoped that two separate courts could help ease the alleged tension between the two couples.
“The Duke of Sussex currently has his own private office, which has been supporting The Duchess since the engagement of Their Royal Highnesses in November 2017,” the royal family’s statement last week said. “This long-planned move will ensure that permanent support arrangements for The Duke and Duchess’ work are in place as they start their family and move to their official residence at Frogmore Cottage.” The statement added that the Queen has “given permission for The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to base their Household Office at Buckingham Palace.”