Say it ain’t so! According to Page Six, Celine Dion is reportedly ending her Las Vegas residency after eight years. The news outlet has reported that the 50-year-old will say goodbye to the long-running show in 2019. As of now, her last show is scheduled for Jan. 20.
While Celine has yet to comment on the matter, she did share last week that she’s working on new music, which could perhaps be why she’s leaving the residency behind. “Back in the studio… excited about recording some great new tunes! – Céline xx,” she captioned the pic at the time.
Things haven’t exactly been easy for Celine in recent years. First off, she lost her husband, René Angélil, to throat cancer in January 2016. Then earlier this year, Celine had to take a break from singing to “heal and recover” from a bad cold. And if that wasn’t bad enough, months later she had to cancel some of her shows to undergo ear surgery.
“It’s been a very tough few months for her but she’s been seeing the best ear, nose, and throat specialists for everything,” a source told Closer Weekly in March. “Sometimes when she sings she can hear her own voice echoing in her ear. It’s very frustrating for her.”
However, Celine was mostly sad that she let her fans down. “She was really upset to not only miss her 50th birthday show but to cancel shows and disappoint fans,” another source said at the time. “She doesn’t ever want to let them down. It bothers her more than most people would know.”
But now, she’s reportedly feeling better than ever. “Everything with the surgery went well and she’s feeling great,” a friend exclusively assured to Closer Weekly in April. We’re going to miss seeing her on the Vegas stage, but we’re excited to hear some of her new tunes! After all, we think Celine deserves an exciting new project at this point in her life.