Prince William, Kate Middleton and More React to Prince Philip’s Death at 99: ‘It Is With Deep Sorrow’
In the wake of Prince Philip‘s death at the age of 99 on April 9, the royal family is reacting to the tragic loss. Queen Elizabeth II‘s husband of more than 70 years was adored by many around the world, but especially by his loved ones and those who knew him best.
Following the heartbreaking announcement, Prince William and his wife, Duchess Kate (née Middleton), reacted to the news with a tribute on their official Instagram. Alongside a throwback photo of the late royal, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge shared Buckingham Palace’s statement.
“It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen has announced the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh,” read William and Kate’s post. “His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle.” The palace has yet to reveal Philip’s cause of death.
The duke — who was born on June 10, 1921 — is survived by wife Elizabeth, 94, as well as their four children, Prince Charles, Princess Anne, Prince Andrew and Prince Edward, eight grandchildren, including William and Prince Harry, and eight great-grandchildren, including Prince George, Princess Charlotte, Prince Louis and baby Archie.
Queen Elizabeth shared a sweet tribute to her late husband on Saturday, April 10. “‘He has, quite simply, been my strength and stay all these year, and I, and his whole family, and this and many other countries, owe him a debt greater than he would ever claim, or shall we ever know.’ -Her Majesty The Queen, 1997,” read the caption shared to the royal family’s official Instagram account. “At The Queen’s Coronation in 1953, The Duke of Edinburgh swore to be Her Majesty’s ‘liege man of life and limb.’ The Duke was a devoted consort (companion to the Sovereign) for almost 70 years, from Her Majesty’s Accession in 1952 until his death.” The post then directed fans to the royal website to read more about Prince Philip’s life.
Prince Charles, 72, shared a touching tribute to his late father during a public address that same day. “I particularly wanted to say that my father, for I suppose the last 70 years, has given the most remarkable, devoted service to The Queen, to my family and to the country, but also to the whole of the Commonwealth,” the Prince of Wales said. “As you can imagine, my family and I miss my father enormously. He was a much loved and appreciated figure. Apart from anything else … I’m so deeply touched by the number of other people here and elsewhere around the world and in the Commonwealth who also share our loss and our sorrow. … We are deeply grateful for all that. It will sustain us in this particular loss and at this particularly sad time.”
It was announced in 2018 that Philip was retiring from royal life. Since then, fans have rarely seen him out and about.
“His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh has decided that he will no longer carry out public engagements from the autumn of this year,” the statement said at the time. “In taking this decision, The Duke has the full support of The Queen. Prince Philip will attend previously scheduled engagements between now and August, both individually and accompanying The Queen,” a spokesperson said at the time. “Thereafter, The Duke will not be accepting new invitations for visits and engagements, although he may still choose to attend certain public events from time to time.”
Of the times we heard from or saw Philip in 2019, the first was when he was involved in a scary car accident at the royal family’s Sandringham estate, ultimately leading to him surrendering his license. Then, in May, it was revealed that Philip was the first person to meet granddaughter-in-law Meghan Markle‘s newborn son, Archie.
Our thoughts and prayers are with the royal family at this time.