It’s been eight months since Matt Lauer was abruptly fired from Today following sexual harassment allegations, and fans have been wondering what he’s doing now. And on Tuesday, July 24, we got an idea of just that. The disgraced TV host had his first interview since his termination in late November, and referred to himself as an “easy mark.”
Matt, 60, spoke with Radio New Zealand’s show Checkpoint with John Campbell about a legal battle over a piece of land he bought in New Zealand last year. He thinks there’s now controversy around it because he’s gone through some “difficult times” over the past few months.
“I don’t think I’m being a conspiracy theorist here, or paranoid, but I believe the groups are in some ways, unfortunately, taking advantage of some difficult times I’ve been through over the past six months and I think they see me as an easy mark,” he shared.
Matt continued, “I believe they think that New Zealanders are going to find some outrage there. He added, “I will tell people, they don’t know the circumstances of that situation. I promise you. I’m not at liberty to talk, nor do I want to talk about that. But they’re choosing this fight for a reason. This is why this fight was chosen now.”
Matt has not spoken out much since his scandal late last year. However, he released a statement in April to stick up for his family amid all the drama.
“I have made no public comments on the many false stories from anonymous or biased sources that have been reported about me over these past several months. I remained silent in an attempt to protect my family from further embarrassment and to restore a small degree of the privacy they have lost,” he said at the time.
Matt continued, “But defending my family now requires me to speak up. I fully acknowledge that I acted inappropriately as a husband, father, and principal at NBC. However I want to make it perfectly clear that any allegations or reports of coercive, aggressive, or abusive actions on my part, at any time, are absolutely false.”
The dad-of-three previously released an apology shortly after the news broke. “There are no words to express my sorrow and regret for the pain I have caused others by words and actions. To the people I have hurt, I am truly sorry,” he said at the time. “As I am writing this I realize the depth of the damage and disappointment I have left behind at home and at NBC. Some of what is being said about me is untrue or mischaracterized, but there is enough truth in these stories to make me feel embarrassed and ashamed.”
Matt continued, “I regret that my shame is now shared by the people I cherish dearly. Repairing the damage will take a lot of time and soul searching and I’m committed to beginning that effort. It is now my full time job. The last two days have forced me to take a very hard look at my own troubling flaws. It’s been humbling. I am blessed to be surrounded by the people I love. I thank them for their patience and grace.”