The show must go on? On Saturday, October 26, Elton John made the tough decision to cancel one of his concerts on his Farewell Yellow Brick Road tour due to his health. He announced the devastating news on his official Instagram account.
“To my dear fans in Indianapolis, it is with the heaviest heart that I’m forced to deliver the news that I am extremely unwell and therefore unable to perform at @bankerslifefieldhouse tonight,” he penned the caption of a photo of himself behind a piano. “I absolutely hate to let my fans down, but I owe it to you to put on the best #EltonFarewellTour show possible and unfortunately that’s simply not possible.”
Elton told his fans that even though he wouldn’t be performing in Indianapolis for the scheduled date, they can see him at another time. “The date will be rearranged for March 26, 2020, and I promise I will deliver the show you deserve. Thank you so much for your support and understanding.”
Due to his strenuous schedule, its no wonder Elton, 72, got sick. Over the course of three years, he’s supposed to go to five different continents to perform 300 shows. The tour is so massive because this is the last time the “Rocket Man” singer will be hitting the road as a musician. He plans to spend more time at home with his loving husband, David Furnish, and their two kids — Zachary, 8, and Elijah, 6.
“They’re thriving, they’re great kids. They’re funny, they keep us amused,” he previously said about his retirement when he announced it in January 2018. “That’s why I’m coming off the road after the world tour — I need to be there for them. I need to spend the time with them. I miss them so much when I’m not with them.”
In May 2018, Elton also opened up to Good Morning Britain about his decision to stop touring. “I’m looking forward to saying goodbye. It’s not a publicity stunt because I am saying goodbye to touring, I’ve had enough,” the dad of two admitted. “To be honest with you I want to move on and do different things.”
We hope you get better soon, Elton!