Awkward! When President Donald Trump made a trip to the UK last week, he and his wife, First Lady Melania Trump, had a private afternoon tea with Queen Elizabeth. But none of the other members of the British royal family reportedly agreed to meet with Trump, especially Prince Charles and Prince William.
So how did the father-son duo get out of accompanying the 92-year-old Queen during her Friday, July 13 visit with the POTUS and FLOTUS? A source recently told The Sunday Times that Charles, 69, and William, 36, simply filled their schedules with other royal events to skip meeting Donald.
"This business of Prince Charles and Prince William not being there for the Trump visit was a snub. It's a very, very unusual thing for the Queen to be there on her own. Usually she is accompanied by somebody," an insider shared.
"[Charles] goes to what he wants to go to, and if he had wanted to be there he could have been," the source said, adding that both Charles and William "simply refused" to meet the Trumps.
Buckingham Palace later released a statement about Charles and William's noticeable absence from Queen Elizabeth's Windsor Castle meeting with Donald and Melania. "In line with standard practice for guest of government visits the President and First Lady were received by the Queen as Head of State," the message began. "The arrangements were mutually agreed between the Palace and the UK and US governments. There was never a suggestion that other members of the royal family would take part."
On Friday, William instead played in a charity polo match at Cambridge County Polo Club while Charles traveled to the royal family's Highgrove House residence to hold a board meeting for his company AG Carrick.
Join our Facebook group for the latest updates on Kate Middleton, Prince William, and all things royal!