Paul McCartney has been hospitalized in Tokyo after contracting a nasty virus last week, a spokeswoman confirms.
“Paul received successful medical treatment at a hospital in Tokyo. He will make a complete recovery and has been ordered to take a few days rest,” she said in a statement.
Though she declined to comment on whether the musician remained hospitalized, the spokeswoman did say, “Paul has been extremely moved by all the messages and well wishes he has received from fans all over the world.”
The worsening infection has caused the former Beatle to cancel his entire Japanese tour as well as postpone his May 28 concert in Seoul, South Korea.
“I was really looking forward to visiting and playing in South Korea for the first time and I’m sorry to be letting fans down,” the singer said in a statement. “I’m very disappointed by this and hope to be able to visit soon.”
Earlier this week, Paul informed fans his doctors had put him on complete bed rest, thanking them for “their love, messages of support and understanding.”
It is unclear whether the 71-year-old’s illness will affect any of his upcoming U.S. tour dates, the first of which is scheduled for June 14 in Lubbock, TX.