Now that there’s word of yet another Ghostbusters reboot coming soon — this one directed by Oscar-nominated director Jason Reitman — everyone has vastly different opinions on it, especially since the all-female version of it was released in 2016. But Melissa McCarthy, who starred in that film, is completely okay with it.
The 48-year-old chatted with ET while on the red carpet at the 2019 Oscar Wilde Awards at Bad Robot in Santa Monica, California, on Thursday, February 21, and revealed that a new version of the ghost franchise doesn’t bother her. “I’m for anybody who’s making movies,” the actress shared. “I talked to Jason about it, he’s just always had this idea, and his goes back to the world where the guys did exist and I’m like, ‘I want to see that.'” She added, “I’m all for it. I say like, ‘Tell the story.'”
The Bridesmaids star was joined by Kate McKinnon, Kristen Wiig and Leslie Jones for their Ghostbusters movie — a film that didn’t exactly hit it out of the park at the box office, or with critics. But Melissa is still eager to see what this new version will be like. “I think there’s a million stories to be told. He’s a really, really good filmmaker and a really good storyteller, so I will be there buying my ticket,” she said. “I’m all for it.”
But not everyone from the cast is happy about it. In fact, Leslie, 51, was quite upset when she learned about this new team of busters coming out soon. “So insulting. Like f–k us. We dint [sic] count … Those women ain’t ghostbusters. Ugh. So annoying. Such a d–k move. And I don’t give a f–k, I’m saying something!!” she tweeted last month.
Jason, who is the son of the original films’ director, Ivan Reitman, still praised the 2016 film directed by Paul Feig, telling Entertainment Weekly, “I have so much respect for what Paul created with those brilliant actresses and would love to see more stories from them.” He added, “However, this new movie will follow the trajectory of the original film.”
The latest Ghostbusters is set to be released July 10, 2020.