Do you know how they tell you to make sure everything is unplugged when you leave the house? Well, according to Martha Stewart, you should probably check to make sure your mirror isn’t facing the sun through a window, too. The home decor guru took to Instagram on Saturday, Jan. 5 to warn her friends and fans of the potential dangers of magnifying makeup mirrors after one almost “ignited” her home.
“BEWARE!” Martha began. The 77-year-old went on to explain that as she was in Tasmania, her master bathroom almost went up in flames when the mirror “happened to catch the rays of the afternoon sun, reflecting them directly onto the painted window sill,” the author wrote in the caption of photos that showed the damage. Take a look at the photos below and make sure to swipe right to see more!
View this post on Instagram
BEWARE!!!!! While I was in Tasmania my master bathroom had a serious problem A magnifying makeup mirror , sitting on the back of the toilet , happened to catch the rays if the afternoon sun , reflecting them directly onto the painted window sill . The light was so intense that the paint scorched and smoked And almost ignited ! My housekeeper smelled the burning paint and stopped the problem Please take care not to let such a queer thing happen in your home!!!!!
In the photos, Martha shared the aftermath of what could have been a fire. On the window sill is a scorched part where the sun’s rays were landing after they reflected off the mirror. “The light was so intense that the paint scorched and smoked and almost ignited! My housekeeper smelled the burning paint and stopped the problem.” Martha urged, “Please take care not to let such a queer thing happen in your home!”
While this sounds like a single occurrence, fans actually admitted that they have experienced the same thing before. “This happened to me too! It made a deep scorch in the window trim. I was very lucky there weren’t any fabric drapes close enough to ignite,” one fan wrote in the comment section. “That happened to a friend and luckily she was home to put out the fire,” said another.
Even though many fans were surprised at what happened, some even described the situation as “wild,” many were relieved at Martha’s great warning. “Most excellent reminder… thank you and thanks God your home was still there,” one fan gushed. We’re so glad Martha is ok!