The 63-year-old recently sat down with The Hollywood Reporter to not only discuss the Frasier reboot that is currently in the early stages, but his thoughts on Roseanne, 66, and her very publicized exit from the ABC show. “I have no idea,” the Golden Globes winner said when asked if the comedian’s situation should have been handled differently by the network.
“I think people should be forgiven for their sins. Our life is so challenging. How do you ever make amends?” he added. Roseanne made headlines after she made a racist comment about Valerie Jarrett, the former Obama administration official, on Twitter. The actress was quickly bashed and booted from the reboot of her show, which had been reeling in big ratings.
The program also decided to kill off her character and introduced a new show without her called The Conners. As for Kelsey’s own revival of his popular NBC show, he said, “There are a few writers we’ve been discussing story ideas with and the new world of Frasier.” He added, “We haven’t landed on the exact one yet, but we’ve heard some great things. Our hope is that someone is as excited about it as we are, once we finally decide which one we like.”
The Cheers alum also recently spoke to Us Weekly about the reboot that has fans of the show buzzing. “So there’s some movement; we’ll see what happens,” he told the outlet at Steven Tyler’s Grammy Awards Viewing Party to benefit Janie’s Fund on Sunday, February 10.
“I just want to make sure it’s really good,” he continued, adding that fans should expect a “third act” of sorts. Kelsey even revealed who viewers should expect to return to the show. “Some of the folks — probably most of the folks who were on the original show — would be back, but we’re someplace else,” he said. “Something has happened. We’re not going to pick up where we left off.”
Frasier aired for 11 seasons, while The Conners will soon be releasing a second season.