Chef Marcus Samuelsson's Lobster Roll with Quince and Napa Cabbage
Marcus' wine pairing: Penfolds Koonunga Hill Chardonnay
Ingredients: makes 4 servings
FOR THE LOBSTER ROLLS
• 4 leaves napa cabbage, stems below the leaves removed
• 2 teaspoons white miso
• 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
• 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
• 1/4 teaspoon sambal oelek, or about 6 drops Tabasco sauce
• 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
• 2 pieces quince, chopped
• 1 1/2 – 2 cups bite-sized chunks cooked lobster (from two 1 1/2- to 2-pound lobsters)
• 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
FOR THE HERB SALAD
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• juice of 1 lime
• 2 sprigs fresh mint, leaves only
• 2 sprigs fresh cilantro, leaves only
• 2 sprigs fresh basil, leaves only
• 2 teaspoons caviar, preferably from California farmed sturgeon (optional)
PREPARE THE LOBSTER ROLLS: Blanch the napa cabbage in salted water, then remove from water and pat dry. Set aside.
Combine the miso, mayonnaise, lime juice, sambal oelek, cilantro, and quince in a medium bowl. Add the lobster and tomatoes and toss to mix.
Lay a piece of plastic wrap about 2-inches long on a work surface. Place a napa cabbage leaf in the center of the plastic wrap. Place a line of the lobster mixture—about 2 tablespoons—across the lower third of the leaf. Using the plastic wrap to help you, roll up the cabbage around the filling as tightly as possible into a compact roll. Place on a plate, and repeat with the leaves and filling, to make a total of 4 rolls. Cover and refrigerate.
JUST BEFORE SERVING, PREPARE THE HERB SALAD: Whisk the olive oil and lime juice together in a small bowl. Stir in the herbs.
Using a very sharp knife, cut each roll into 2 or 3 pieces. Place on plates. Arrange the salad next to the rolls, garnish with the optional caviar, and serve.
For more delicious recipes from our celebrity contributors, go here.
Your life just got exponentially better and more stylish now you've signed up for our newsletter. Fabulousness awaits!