Melissa Rivers has officially taken action against the doctors who caused Joan Rivers' untimely death.
The TV personality, 47, has filed a lawsuit against Yorkville Endoscopy, the NYC clinic where her late mother underwent a routine throat procedure that led to her passing at age 81 on Sept. 4, 2014.
"The level of medical mismanagement, incompetency, disrespect and outrageous behavior is shocking and frankly, almost incomprehensible," Melissa said in a statement. "Not only did my mother deserve better, every patient deserves better."
Melissa with her son, Cooper, at Joan's funeral on Sept. 7, 2014. (Photo Credit: Getty)
The documents allege the surgery center operated on Joan under gross medical malpractice and claims doctors failed to perform a tracheotomy when the 'Fashion Police' star went into cardiac arrest, an action that may have saved her life.
Melissa is suing both the surgery center and Joan's personal doctor, Gwen Korovin. According to legal documents filed by the star, Korovin should not have been permitted in the operating room on the day of August 28, 2014.
The lawsuit further claims another doctor took cell phone photos of a sedated Joan during the operation.
"Had doctors acted as physicians for Joan Rivers instead of groupies, Joan Rivers would have been doing 'Fashion Police' last week," Melissa's lawyer, Jeffrey Bloom, told 'The NY Daily News.'
'TMZ' first reported this news.